This fort was declared as a protected monument by the Department of Archaeology, Government
of Tamilnadu in 1977 ADThe Danes constructed
fortifications on the coast at Tranquebar. This was the only busy trade centre on the Coromandal coast
for the Danes. This fort was a busy trade centre till 1845 AD when the Danes handed over the fort to the
English. It was used as a Public Works Department Travellers Bungalow for government servants and colonials
till 1977 AD.